November 9, 2015 – April 7, 2016
Friday, November 6
First Meeting – 3:15-5:00 p.m. Room 305
All interested students
Practice Schedule – Begins November 9
Mondays Room 305 – 3:15- 5:00 p.m.
1st through 4th grades
Thursdays Room 305 – 3:15.-5:00 p.m.
5th through 8th grades
The Chess Team will meet starting on November 6 (all interested students) in Room 305. Our last meeting will be April 7, 2016. Depending on student interest, tryouts may be implemented to keep numbers less than 16 per group. There will not be a fee for this program. Students must be picked up promptly at 5:00 p.m.; failure to do so consistently may result in the student being removed from the program.
Some things to consider for your child's participation in the Chess Team:
There is both a technical and an emotional side to chess readiness.
• First, the child must know how all the pieces move.
• The child must understand how to win, or, in other words, that the game is over when the king is placed in checkmate. A chess game can also end in a draw, such as when the king is not currently in check but cannot move without placing himself into check.
• Does the child enjoy the game, having fun regardless of wins or losses? Chess is a game, and should be fun.
• No crying, no whining, and, especially, no gloating!
• Is the child able to sit quietly through a chess match without talking to his or her opponent?
• Is the child willing to accept victory or defeat graciously?
More information will be provided at our first meetings. Sign-up sheets will be available after next week in the main office or please send an email to express your interest and with any questions/concerns.