As I write my final blog for 2019, I reflect on the many things we have done at Waters this year. I am very proud of our accomplishments and the work that continued through the last months.
We have been incredibly busy with learning opportunities! All of this is in addition to what goes on in the classroom on a daily basis. Here are just a few highlights:
- Cyber Kids parent workshop
- “Screenagers” film screening for families
- Understanding the IEP process for English Learners parent workshop
- Reading and Math strategies for English Learners parent workshop
- Understanding ACCESS scores parent workshop
- No More Bullying workshop parent workshop
- Assistive Technology parent workshop
- James and the Giant Peach Drama performance
- Billy Goats Gruff Drama performance
- Spring Cardboard Challenge
- Little Big Night
- Museum of Contemporary Art
- Cops and Kids Chess
- Footloose spring concert
- CAPE annual finale
- Wrigley Field Cubs
- Hamilton Exhibitiion
- Multiple Sauganash , Lake Michigan and Chicago River trips
- Levy Senior Center
- Old Town School of Folk Music
- 7th graders go to Springfield
- 8th grade luncheon at Navy Pier
- Loyola Law School - ABC projects
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Spring Art Show
- Save the Ocean from Plastics Community Mural ( stop and look on the corner of Wilson and Western created with help from our 6th grade class)
- Field Day
- Walk A Thon
- Scholastic Spring Book Fair
- Volunteer Thank You Breakfast
- Girls on the Run 5K
- Volleyball and Soccer
- Track -Congratulations to Nate Bjurstrom and CeCe Barlow who qualified for City Finals!
- 1st Grade Circus
- Circus Carnival
- Horner Park
- Waveland Bowl
- Sulzer Library
- 8th grade Graduation and Kinder Celebrations
Update on construction: While there haven’t been any fences erected, I have been informed that trailers will be arriving soon. As information becomes available I will share what I know. Please be patient. Thank you.
I would like to thank the staff for their outstanding commitment to education. The countless hours working before, during and after school are greatly appreciated and it shows in your work with the children.
Also, I thank you parents and school community for your tremendous support through fundraising, volunteering, honoring staff with the annual Staff Appreciation Week, donations, etc. You have provided Waters students with additional learning opportunities that otherwise would not be available. Your commitment to Waters School goes beyond words. You are deeply appreciated.
Please be aware the office will be closed for the next two weeks. It will reopen on July 9 at
Summer office hours:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 9:00 am- 12 noon.
Congratulations to the graduating class of 2019! We celebrated together on Wednesday at Amundsen High School. It was a proud moment for all families to watch their child walk across the stage. Thank you for your years of support! We wish these young people well as they enter a new chapter in their lives.
In conclusion, my hope is that as summer begins, you will enjoy time together as famlies. Children grow up so quickly and before you know it , they are graduating from 8th grade. Take time to engage in authentic experiences that will give you a lifetime of memories.
Be safe, relax and I look forward to seeing all of you in September!